February 1, 2018
Your Next Chapter
Baby Boomers have never done things conventionally, and now they are breaking new ground in the way they are "retiring" – by rebooting and reinventing. The Retirement Boom is a guidebook packed with expert advice, insights, real-life stories, exercises and more on all aspects of thinking and planning that robust next chapter. Published by Career Press.
"This terrific resource offers an eloquent and insightful road map for making the so-called “retirement years” among the most exciting and fulfilling of your life…It is a must-read companion for every Baby Boomer seeking to make the most of the great gift of longer lives." — Marc Freedman, Founder/CEO, Encore.org.Learn More
When is the last time you took a real break?
Whether you're disillusioned with your career, yearning to follow a dream, or taking time out after a layoff, now is a great time to step back and recharge. We call it rebooting your life. This book will show you how you can give yourself the best gift ever—the gift of time.
"Talk about discovery! Reboot Your Life gives the inspiration, insight, and practical tips to take a work break for a breather or a real life change." — Wonya Lucas, Former Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Discovery CommunicationsLearn More
A JOURNAL FOR INSPIRATION
This journal of the authors' favorite inspirational and motivational quotes is the perfect place to write your thoughts or daily activities around rebooting -- or just your daily life. It's a perfect gift for yourself or someone else!Learn More
From the Blog
Our most recent articles, success stories, press and more
See what people are saying and learn more about Reboot Your Life
Op-ed pieces, articles and other writing by the Reboot Sisters
Reboot TV & Radio
See the Reboot Sisters interviewed and discuss their approach to Rebooting Your Life!
From the Blog
January 2, 2018
“We wove a rich tapestry.”
“I was happy to connect with all of you and am looking forward to our futures.”
“I’m leaving with a much clearer direction and permission to go in that direction.”
— comments by participants
After the sharing, listening, paired exercises, good advice, beach walks and lobster, the nine participants of the 2017 Cape Cod Reboot Your Life Retreat summarized their experience with these words and the statements above: energized, nourished and nurtured, clear now, connected, opened to possibilities and different directions.
We Reboot Partners were thrilled because the Sisterhood+ group of eight women and one man (all ages) bonded so well and shared so many ideas with each other.
The setting was early fall in Cape Cod at Cathy and Paul’s beautiful home. We visited one misty beach for the walking meditation and another for a vibrant sunset and reflection. Inspiration was well supplied by both Nature and those present. The group plans to stay in touch as they carry out their next chapter plans – even talking about a reunion next year for another Cape Cod experience.
Our Retreats provide an opportunity to explore your next chapter and write (or at least start) a plan in a small group, with each member on their own journey. Retreats in 2018 will be: March 9-11 in New York City; June 8-10 in Sag Harbor, NY; and Oct. 5-7 in Santa Fe, NM.
September 7, 2017
“If you are really ready to break through and move forward with the rest of your life, this is the place to begin. You will come out with the tools and insights you need.” – Sag Harbor retreat participant
They named themselves the Fabulous Four – and that they were! After we had two last-minute withdrawals due to a death in the family and a consulting scheduling conflict, the four participants who came together at Jaye’s Sag Harbor house brought enthusiasm, empathy, and energy from the first moment they met. Their ability to give and absorb thoughts and ideas for the next chapter of their life journeys was inspiring, and their bonds grew over the weekend with the conversations, laughter, and exercises, both verbal and written.
It was a bonus to be able to do the visualization walk on the beach and to have sunny sessions on Jaye’s deck. A special Cuban dinner and music added to it all. But, the key was the participants, as they affirmed and expanded plans or created entirely new ones. They are looking forward to staying in touch as their plans evolve.
We Reboot Partners are looking forward to the October retreat in Cape Cod!
June 6, 2017
Reboot Partners hosted a Forum on Managing the Multigenerational Workforce in late March in New York City. KPMG graciously provided the venue. The morning brought together corporate human resource and talent executives to share perspectives, insights, and best practices. We found it stimulating and informative, as everyone in the room contributed to the sharing and learning, which began to change the conversation on this important topic.
We specially want to thank our futurist extraordinaire, Edie Weiner, for her brilliant keynote address and joining the panel. Edie set the context and challenged us to find ways to recognize and overcome “educated incapacity.” She also talked about changing the conversation from human resources to productivity resources, and she stressed understanding realities. And, not to be missed was her advice to solve problems with both male (energy) and female (process) brains for best results.
We are grateful to the panel and FlashTalk leaders for their excellent insights and engagement of the group. They are listed further on in the agenda.
Following are some key points we took away that we believe form a strong compilation of observations, advice, and best practices on managing the multigenerational workforce of today and tomorrow:
- Find ways to recognize and overcome “educated incapacity.”
- Change the conversation from human resources to productivity resources.
- How do we get more understanding of realities?
- Solve problems with both male (energy) and female (process) brains for best results.
- Find new ways for generations to work together but get away from a conversation too focused on generations.
- Update the workplace for greater productivity (more natural light, etc.)
- Get away from being judgmental about other generations.
- Institute learning rather than training.
- Don’t lose all Boomers at once!
- Consider creating a free marketplace for people nearing retirement.
- As Millennials leave jobs after a short time and move around more, rethink to: turnover is not bad but is expected and can be good.
- Understand the “gig economy.”
- Attract new talent through a learning culture.
- Understand the move from hierarchical power to shared power.
- Recognize we are all stewards of our own careers.
- Appreciate there’s a grieving process around change.
- Millennials and Boomers alike want to be valued.
- Robots have moved to be a public issue because of taking jobs away, but it’s less of a real threat to jobs than it is an issue hotly discussed in the public.
- Rethink your business model to be more flexible.
- Know the “superconnectors.”
- Get your Millennials to know your culture and values and to be your ambassador in the world.
- Mentor Millennials on problem-solving skills.
- Understand the impact of gamification.
- There are five generations in the workforce, but none of these are a monolith, for example, don’t lump all Boomers together, nor age 65-100, and don’t lump all Millennials.
- Understand the 15-18 year olds and how they will influence the workforce of the future.
Clearly, the question of how to accomplish all those points – and many more from the forum conversation – could be explored and expanded further. We believe this was a good start in confronting the complexity of the multigenerational workforce.
AGENDA AND SPEAKERS
Introductory Remarks – Sue Townsen, Partner and Chief Diversity Officer, KPMG LLP
Keynote Speaker – Edie Weiner, President and CEO, The Future Hunters
Topic: “The Big Picture: Where Are We, And Where are We Heading?”
Panel – Trends, Psychology, and What’s Going On
- Christopher Bishop – Former Strategic Partner, Future Workplace; Associate, Reboot Partners LLC
- Jared Kleinert – Founder of Kleinert Ventures and 3 Billion Under 30; author of Two Billion Under 20 and Three Billion Under 30
- Hara Marano – Editor-at-Large, Psychology Today
- Kurt Metzger – Vice President, Learning and Career Development, Prudential
FlashTalk Speakers/Facilitators – Best Practices and Changing the Conversation
- Christopher Bishop – Strategic Partner, Future Workplace; Associate, Reboot Partners LLC
- Kurt Metzger – Vice President, Learning and Career Development, Prudential
- Rebecca (Becky) Rumer –Chief Administrative Officer, Synovus Financial Corporation
Moderators: Reboot Co-Founding Partners Catherine Allen, Nancy Bearg, and Jaye Smith, www.rebootpartnersllc.com
The Future Hunters – www.thefuturehunters.com
Reboot Partners LLC – www.rebootpartnersllc.com
Harvard, Yale, and Stanford studies on unconscious bias
Santa Fe Institute work on diversity
Sue Townsen, Huffington Post, Jan. 19, 2017, “Stop Worrying about Job-Hopping Employees and Continue to Invest in Their Career Development
Allen, Bearg, Smith, The Retirement Boom: An All-Inclusive Guide to Money, Health, and Life in Your Next Chapter, Career Press, 2016.
Allen, Bearg, Foley, Smith, Reboot Your Life: Energize Your Career and Life by Taking a Break, Beaufort Books, 2011.
May 1, 2017
Upcoming EventsSee all events
What People are Saying
The Reboot weekend was a life-changing experience. You all gave me more support and inspiration than you will ever know, and I needed it more than I had realized. –Reboot Your Life Retreat Participant
The shocks of the last decade are reminders that there is more to life than livelihoods. In this new world the more diverse our experiences and knowledge, the more connections our brains and hearts can make. REBOOT YOUR LIFE is a practical, relevant, inspiring easy-to-read guide on the journey for growth, rest, and renewal. The Sabbatical Sisters retreats are also an enjoyable and actionable way to give yourself the “gift of time.” –Susan Schiffer Stautberg, President of PartnerCom and Co-Founder of Women Corporate Directors (WCD)
moreFrom the Blog
Jun 06, 2017
Feb 20, 2017