- Geek Squad — an in-house technical and support service
- Society6.com — iPhone and tablet cases and other cool and fun stuff
Appolicious — for iPhone, iPad users — helps you to identify the right app for your needs and then to manage them
- App Brain — for Android users — helps you to identify the right app for your needs and then to manage them
Courses/Assistance to Teach You Software and Technology Skills
- apple.com/retail/geniusbar/ — for Apple products advice and training at Apple stores
- onetoone.apple.com – if you purchase an Apple product, we recommend you purchase a year of training. For $99 you can get weekly one-on-one training sessions on any Apple product and unlimited technical support
- SeniorNet — non-profit organization that provides older adults education for, and access to, computer technologies to enhance their lives and enable them to share their knowledge and wisdom
- Goldstar.com and Groupon.com for discount deals on courses
- Technology courses online in how to use Microsoft Office, Suite, Word and Power Point, Quicken, Quickbooks, Instagram, etc:
More resources such as Retirement Readiness Questionnaire, Action Planning Grid, and Team of Experts Worksheet — can be found on www.revolutionary-retirement.com/private, with password from our book Revolutionary Retirement: What’s Next for YOU?
- sharpentoday.org or mymoneycheckup.org/syff for Sharpen Your Financial Focus Questionnaire
- synovus.com for Financial Planning Questionnaire
- www.consumerreports.org — Consumer Reports
- www.kiplinger.com/store/krr/ Money Magazine — Kiplinger Money Report
- ageinplace.org — National Aging in Place Council is a senior support network
- ebri.org — Employee Benefit Research Institute is an employee benefits research organization
- ict-ageingwell.net — Ageing Well Network is a European network focused on improving the quality of life of Elderly People
- nfcc.org — National Foundation for Credit Counseling is the nation’s largest and longest-serving nonprofit financial counseling organization
- olli.gmu.edu — Osher Lifelong Learning Institute offers intellectual and cultural experiences
- Resultsresourcing.com—this service platform can find, vet and connect you with a personal financial planner.
- retireonyourterms.org — National Retirement Planning Coalition is dedicated to raising the public awareness of the need for comprehensive retirement planning.
More resources such as a Financial Planning Form to keep track of documents, accounts, insurance — can be found on www.revolutionary-retirement.com/private, with password from our book Revolutionary Retirement: What’s Next for YOU?
- bankrate.com/calculators.aspx — personal finance calculators
- finance.yahoo.com — links to top finance websites
- www.caregiverslibrary.org/caregivers-resources/grp-checklists-forms.aspx — end-of-life checklists and forms
- jazmine.com — a safe way to store all of your personal and financial information
- naic.org/cis — website to check out insurers
- quickbooks.com — accounting software
- quicken.com — personal financial and money management software
- realclearmarkets.com — access to all top money managers and journalists
- resultsresourcing.com — this service platform can find, vet and connect you with a personal financial planner.
- turboscanapp.com — document scanner on cell phones and other devices
- uphelp.org — for help on insurance issues
- yacenter.org — young kids bank
- arise.com—Arise’s cloud-based customer management platform provides a highly flexible solution that connects independent call center businesses to other large companies to provide on-demand customer service
- encore.org—encore is building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world.
- kellyservices.com—offers a comprehensive array of outsourcing and consulting services as well as world-class staffing on a temporary, temporary-to-hire, and direct-hire basis.
- manpower.com –offers staffing solutions designed to enhance business agility, productivity and competitiveness
- newportboardgroup.com—serves emerging growth, middle market, and private equity firms and their portfolio companies to develop the best client insights and recommendations quickly.
- nytimes.com/boss—NYT articles on the “art of running a small business”
- patinasolutions.com—provides professionals to your company that have specialized expertise targeted to your unique circumstances.
- pivotplanet.com—find experienced advisors who can answer your questions and offer insights into their profession.
- reserveinc.org—an innovative non-profit that leverages the skills and talents of professionals 55+ for social good
- resultsresourcing.com—find flexible, virtual freelance work that suits your skills and your lifestyle. Sign up with ResultsResourcing to be matched with companies seeking quality freelance talent in your expertise areas.
- wsj.com/encore—WSJ Reports on Retirement
Reinventing Into New Work
- aacc.nche.edu—The American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) is the primary advocacy organization for the nation’s community colleges.
- encore.org—Encore is building a movement to tap the skills and experience of those in midlife and beyond to improve communities and the world.
- escapefromcubiclenation.com—A career and business blog
- lifereimagined.org—Provides thought leadership and program development guides to help people reimagine their lives
- nextavenue.org—Provides news, information and advice to help the 50+ aged population navigate their lives and join the conversation about the issues and transitions we all face.
- pivotplanet.com—Find experienced advisors who can answer your questions and offer insights into their profession.
- Resultsresourcing.com—find flexible, virtual freelance work that suits your skills and your lifestyle. Sign up with ResultsResourcing to be matched with companies seeking quality freelance talent in your expertise areas.
- retirementjobs.com—Identifies companies most-suited to older workers and matches jobs with active, productive adults seeking a job or project that matches their lifestyle
- seniors4hire.com—A nationwide online Career Center for businesses that value a diverse workforce to actively recruit folks in the U.S. 50 and older including retirees and senior citizens
- whatsnext.com—Provides rankings of fast-growing professions that employ high percentages of midlife workers.
- workforce50.com—The career site for boomers, seniors and experienced workers.
Starting Your Own New Business and Self-Employment
- bizbuysell.com — BizBuySell is the internet’s largest business for sale marketplace
- entrepreneur.com/franchises — Franchise Zone (Entrepreneur Magazine) shows the top franchises from Entrepreneur’s franchise 500 list
- grants.gov — The government website where federal agencies post discretionary funding opportunities and grantees find and apply for them
- legalzoom.com — Preparing legal documents and other legal needs
- liquidspace.com — the largest commercial real estate network to find and book office space.
- moneycrashers.com — Articles about making wise choices about credit and debt, investing, education, real estate, insurance, spending, and more.
- nyc.gov/html/sbs/html/home/home.shtml — SBS, NYC small business services helps New Yorkers find economic security by providing information on good jobs, creating stronger businesses, and building a fairer economy.
- publications.usa.gov — Federal Citizen Information Center is a place to find information and order publications on a variety of topics from the federal government.
- quirky.com — investors looking to see new pitches of business ideas and inventions to make their ideas successful.
- rac-tqi.com — Resource Associates Corporation is a place for professionals who are creating, building, and expanding their consulting or coaching practice.
- resultsresourcing.com— Find flexible, virtual freelance professionals in nearly any field of expertise who can help your business improve and scale
- sba.gov — Small Business Administration aids, counsels, assists and protects the interests of small business concerns
- startupjournal.com — Wall Street Journal articles about small business
- vistaprint.com — Order business cards
- zazzle.com — Order business cards
- eim.com — Excellence in Management sourcing
- evirtualservices.com — people to support you
- resultsresourcing.com—we will find, vet and connect you with freelance virtual support professionals. Or you can sign up to provide your virtual support skills to a company who needs you!
- Upwork.com — hire freelancers and find freelance positions
- interimmanagement.com—Rapid delivery of senior, experienced ‘hands on’ executives for a for a defined period of time
- interimpartners.com—Proven interim executives to solve your business challenges
- resultsresourcing.com—Use your management experience to work with exciting new companies that need your perspective on an interim basis. We can match you with companies seeking your expertise.
- roberthalf.com — matching finance, tech, operations talent to businesses staffing and consulting needs
- smartsource-inc.com — IT staffing solutions
- Upwork.com—a site to hire freelancers and find freelance positions
- wahve.com — insurance industry jobs at home
CrowdSourcing (getting funding or ideas from groups of people through online communities)
- 99designs.com — 99 Designs
- blurgroup.com — Blur Group
- castingwords.com — Castingwords
- clickworker.com — Clickworker
- crowdspring.com – CrowdSpring
- crowdtap.com — Crowd Tap
- indiegogo.com — crowd-funding; may support your projects when others don’t
- istockphoto.com — Istockphoto
- kickstarter.com — crowd-funding platform
- mturk.com — Mechanical Turk
- namingforce.com — Naming Force
- threadless.com — Threadless
- tongal.com — Tongal
More resources such as Board Profile Questions, Sample Board Interview Questions, and Networking Tips — can be found on www.revolutionary-retirement.com/private, with password from our book Revolutionary Retirement: What’s next for YOU?
What Will I Do With My Time?
Where to Live and Lifestyle:
- thethreetomatoes.com — lifestyle for women Baby Boomers
Travel and Exploration
- ebags.com – for lightweight and durable travel bags of all colors and sizes
- travelwithachallenge.com–countries and culture, cruises, and nature vacations for mature travelers
Discount Travel Brokers
- abercrombiekent.com — for luxury trips, and just any exploration online of the activities you seek
- asiatranspacificjourneys.com — Asia luxury travel
- backroads.com — for outdoor adventures
- intrepidtravel.com — 800 scheduled itineraries worldwide
- kensingtontours.com — rare and remote excursions
- lonelyplanet.com — informative travel books
- nationalgeographicexpeditions.com — educational trips
- nationalparks.org — travel and live for free in U.S National parks
- nps.gov — US National Parks
- ohranger.com — find parks nearest you
- othgi.com — camaraderie, discounts, and great trips for people 50 and over
- roadscholar.org — educational adventures created by Elderhostel
- silversea.com — cruises for seniors
- travelfish.org — lower cost South East Asia travel
- worldnomads.com — low cost travel
Hotels and Other Advice
- hoteltonight.com — deep discounts on last-minute rooms
- iexitapp.com — takes guess work out of road trip pits stops
- mint.com — keep track of your budget while you’re traveling, planning the next step, etc.
- roadtrippers.com — generates routes, calculates mileage, and estimates gas cost
- sitorsquat.com — has user ratings
- tripit.com — a mobile app to organize your travel, share itineraries
- wimdu.com — hotel reservations
Resources to Post Pictures or Stories
- postagram.com — lets you create a customized postcard with your own photo and text and mail it through the app. Postage is 99 cents.
Learn a Language in Another Country
Renting/Trading Homes and Apartments
- aarp.org/giving/back — general advice
- bbbs.org — Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- easi.org — Environment Alliance for Senior Involvement
- encore.org — general advice/how-to
- experiencecorps.org — tutor and mentor
- hospicefoundation.org — Hospice Foundation
- humanesociety.org — animal shelter volunteer
- learningally.org — read for the blind and dyslexic
- mentoring.org— be a mentor
- mowaa.org — Meals on Wheels
- peacecorps.gov — Peace Corps
- proliteracy.org — adult literacy volunteer
- redcross.org — American Red Cross
- score.org — small business mentoring
- wish.org — Make a Wish Foundation
- boardnetusa.org — matches non-profit boards and new leaders
- boardsource.org — good governance practices for nonprofit boards, funders, partners
Public Service and Activism
Photography Schools and Workshops
- alisonshaw.com — workshops on Martha’s Vineyard
- mainemedia.edu — workshops in Maine
- santafeworkshops.com — workshops in Santa Fe
- tonystromberg.com/workshops — horse workshops in the U.S. and elsewhere
- amandier.fr — L’Amandier, Provence , France
- belcampoinc.com — Belcampo, master classes in chocolate in jungles of Belize
- bespoke-beijing.com — Backstreet Beijing. Beijing, China
- castellodivicarello.eu — Castello de Vicarella, Tuscany, Italy
- dehouche.com — Virgilio Martinez, Lima, Peru
- foxglovefarmbc.ca — Foxglove Farm, British Columbia, Canada
- hanoicookingcentre.com — Hanoi Cooking Centre, Vietnam
- internationalculinarycenter.com — International Culinary Institute, New York, California, Italy
- langloisnola.com — Langlois Culinary Crossroads, New Orleans, Louisiana
- los-dos.com — Los Dos Merida, Mexico
- naturalgourmetinstitute.com — Natural Gourmet Institute, New York City
- philipkuttysfarm.com — Philipkutty’s Farm, Kerala, India
- rhodeschoolofcusine.com — Rhode School of Cuisine, Dar Liqama, Marrakech, Morocco
- santafeschoolofcooking.com — The Santa Fe Cooking School, Santa Fe, New Mexico
- schoolofartisanfood.org — School of Artisan Food, Nottingham, England
- theagrariankitchen.com — Agrarian Kitchen, Tasmania, Australia
- twobordelais.com — Two Bordelais, 13th-century Chateau La Louviere, France
- willingfoot.com – Willing Foot, Maine
Other Creative Endeavors
- Ed.Ted.com — educational videos on a wide variety of topics; allows you to upload your own lesson plans as well
- Edx.org — take college courses online from leading universities
- KhanAcademy.org — teaches you any type of math. Can be helpful in giving your kids, and grandkids help with their homework too.
- SkillsShare.com — technical courses
- Udemy.com — hundreds of courses in every imaginable category
Singlehood and Widowerhood
Single Life Activities
- abercrombiekent.com — for luxury trips
- backroads.com — for outdoor adventures
- see other listings under Travel and Exploration
Dating Over 50
- http://www.aarp.org/relationships/grief-loss/info-2005/newly_widowed.html. — A Guide for the Newly Widowed
Health and Wellness
- aa.org — Alcoholics Anonymous
- al-anon.alateen.org — for families of problem drinkers
- ascp.com/find-senior-care-pharmacist — American Society of Consulting Pharmacists to find a trained pharmacist to consult about your medicines and conditions
- cmbm.org — The Center for Mind-Body Medicine
- everydayhealth.com — wide range of information
- health.gov — health information for individuals and families
- icaa.cc — International Council of Active Aging
- mayoclinic.org — The Mayo Clinic (various locations)
- nestmaven.com Help with sleep-related challenges such as insomnia, bad sleep hygiene, etc. with helpful tips for a better sleep. Also, see a huge roundup of the best-guided sleep meditation videos on Youtube with Best Guided Meditations For Sleep: Unlock Inner Peace And Deep Relaxation For The Best Sleep Of Your Life
- thirdage.com — a health website for Boomers and beyond
- belvoir.com/titles/index.html — a list of general and topic-specific newsletters for men and women
Newsletters for Men
- menshealthadvisor.com — Cleveland Clinic newsletter for men
- mayoclinic.com/health/mens-health — Mayo Clinic for men
Newsletters for Women
- deniseaustin.com/fit/newsletter — Denise Austin Morning Stretch newsletter
- health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Womens_Health_Watch — Harvard Women’s Health Watch
- aarp.org/health/fitness/info-09-2010/tai_chi_chih.html — on simpler and gentler version of Tai Chi (T’ai Chi Chih)
Exercise Equipment for Home
Walking, Healthy Diet, and Other Technology Support
- amazon.com/health — pedometers in all price ranges
- Healthwatch360.com — eating and health-tracker app for iPhones
- ihealthlabs.com — iHealth for devices from glucose meters to fitness
- myfitnesspal.com/apps — MyFitnessPal apps to track calories and fitness
- rei.com/learn/expert-advice/heart-rate-monitor.html — heart rate monitors
- new-lifestyles.com — pedometers
- trekdesk.com — TrekDesk, a workstation at your desk where you can walk as you work
- readersdigest.ca/food/healthy-food/6-foods-help-prevent-alzheimers?id+2 — foods to help prevent Alzheimer’s
- helpguide.org/articles/alzheimers-dementia/alzheimers-and-dementia-prevention.htm — Alzheimer’s prevention
- lumosity.com — brain games
Meditation and Yoga
- calm.com — online or app
- dhamma.org — Vipassana Meditation
- eomega.org/learning-paths/body-mind-spirit — Omega Center
- Headspace App — (iOS and Android) — to learn meditation; you can try it for free for 10 days
- kripalu.org — Kripalu Center for Yoga and Health
- peterrussell.com/HMWET/index.php — “How To Meditate Without Even Trying” online course
- susanpiver.com — Open Heart Project offering a weekly talk and emails to encourage meditation
- umassmed.edu/cfm/about/index.aspx — Jon Kabat-Zinn — search for his books or online videos re mindfulness. See especially Center for Mindfulness
- yogaglo.com — yoga classes online; two-week free trial allows you to access their beginner’s course on meditation
More Mental and Spiritual Health
- aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-03-2011/tai-chi-helps-fight-depression.html —Tai Chi helping with depression
- creativityandpersonalmastery.com and areyoureadytosucceed.com— for more resources and books to help you think and feel differently and always better and happier
- opencenter.org — sound healing at the Open Center in New York
- Mastering the Art of Giving Thanks — living in gratitude
- aarp.org/health/health-insurance/info-06-2012/understanding-long-term-care-insurance.html — “Understanding Long-Term Care Insurance”
- fidelity.com/inside-fidelity/individual-investing/fidelity-estimates-couples-retiring-in-2013-will-need-220000-to-pay-medical-expenses-throughout-retirement — Fidelity Investments study on healthcare costs for retiring couples
- freelancersunion.org/benefits — insurance for the independent workforce
- healthcare.gov — US government health insurance website
- ltcfeds.com — the federal long-term care insurance program
- medicaid.gov — Medicaid
- medicare.gov — research your local options and general coverage for Medicare
- medicare.gov/supplement-other-insurance — supplemental and other insurance for Medicare
- Tricare.mil — for retired military personnel under 65
Aging and End-of-Life Planning and Documents
- everplans.com — management and storage of documents online
- tn-elderlaw.com/Family_Resources/Links (See Organizing Finances section for keeping track of documents, accounts, insurance)
- http://uslwr.com/formslist.shtm — Forms for all fifty states and the District of Columbia (bullet like above listing) Find more on www.rebootbreak.com/private, with password from our book Revolutionary Retirement: What’s next for YOU?
Leaving Your Legacy
Scrapbooking, Memoirs, and Journals
Simplifying Your Life And Living A Life Of Passion
Places That Will Take Your “Stuff”
- Boys and Girls Club — bgca.org
- EcoChi.com — a Feng Shui expert who can help get your home in harmony
- upwork.com —Virtual Assistants