March 3, 2015
One of the best parts of our Reboot Your Life Retreats is the food! We enjoyed warming, healing dishes at our New York City Retreat last week. See below for recipes so you can enjoy them too!
Lemon Chicken Tagine
Prep time: 40 minutes for 4 people
Utensil: one casserole type pan that can go on your top stove burner
4 Chicken Thighs
350 g onions
220 g preserved olives (we used green ones)
1 preserved lemon
3 garlic cloves
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp turmeric
6 tbsp olive oil
1 pinch pure saffron
1/2 bunch parsley
1/2 bunch cilantro
1/2 cup water
- Peel and mince the onions. Peel and crush the garlic 2. in a bowl, mix the garlic, onions, diced lemon, ginger, saffron, turmeric and olive oil. Add the chicken thighs and coat with the mixture.
- Place the content in the Tagine or casserole pan, place on the burner and add 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the olives, a few strips of preserved lemon and parsley to garnish. Serve hot over rice or couscous.
Zaalouk eggplant with cumin
Preparation: 25 min – for 4 people
Cooking utensils: grill, pan
350 g eggplant
250 g tomatoes
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
- Clean the vegetables. Peel the tomatoes and dice.
- Grill the whole eggplant over the fire for 15 minutes. Turning them regularly. Peel eggplant and rice. (Or slice it and grill the slices under the broiler)
- Place diced tomatoes and eggplant in the pan. Add the cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and olive oil. Cook for 10 minutes
- Serve cold or slightly warm, garnished with chopped parsley.
note: To peel the eggplant easily, place in plastic bag after grilling.
Roasted Veggie Lasagna
tomatoes (used canned diced, puree plus some whole)
2 green pepper diced
1 large sweet onion diced
6 cloves of garlic
1 bag of fresh spinach
Sauté pepper & onion in olive oil. Add tomato, garlic and spinach. Simmer for hours until thick.
Reheat sauce next day before using in lasagna.
Roast veggies separately in 350 degree oven with light olive oil, sea salt & pepper: sweet onion, red or yellow peppers, broccoli, zucchini, butternut squash (&/or whatever else sounds good)
In salted water, Boil sheets of fresh lasagna for approx. 3 min (batches of 5 or so – depending on how large sheets are). Should be al dente.
Layer in deep pan:
3) Fresh spinach
4) Roasted veggies
5) Loosely crumbled slices of mozzarella cheese (I use NO ricotta)
Sprinkle freshly grated Parmesan/Romano on top.
Cover foil lightly and bake a 350 for 30-40 min or so. Uncover and bake for 15-20 min or so until bubbly and browned. Don’t overcook.
This is always best after it sits a day and is reheated.